Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I Hope This Is Not True

Yesterday, I was told that what is probably the largest home care agency in Sacramento has a policy that really shocked me.  If what I have been told is true, I found out that my wife and co-owner of Support For Home would be considered ineligible to work at that agency!

Now, luckily, she has no desire to do that, as we intend to continue managing our own home care agency for a long time, but the news was still a bit of a shock.

It turns out, at least so I have been informed, that this large franchise agency has a policy that only citizens of the United States are eligible to be hired.  My wife, on the other hand, was born in and is still a citizen of Singapore.  That was okay with Fortune 100 companies like Texas Instruments, Phillips and Intel Corporation, where she was a senior manager before we started Support For Home.  Evidently it is not good enough for a local franchise owner.

At Support For Home In-Home Care, we are very careful only to hire folks who have the legal right to work in the United States.  We complete what is called the I-9 process, including use of the Department of Homeland Security's E-Verify process.  Both ethically and legally, we will not discriminate against anyone who has the legal right to work in my country.

As the title of this piece says, I hope what I have been told is not true.  It would be un-American.

No comments:

Post a Comment